LOCATION: Only 10 mins from downtown Cleveland via I-90, approximately 7 miles from Public Square, Lakewood’s location is convenient. Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is only a 15-minute drive, and both I-71 and the Ohio Turnpike can be reached in 20 minutes. Bordered by Lake Erie on the north and Cleveland Metroparks on the West, the City’s location is unique. Residents can boat, fish and swim on Lake Erie and take advantage of city parks and the Metroparks for woods, playground equipment, picnicking, fishing and countless other activities.
COMMUNITY PARKS: The Lakewood Parks system consists of 15 dedicated parks and approximately 75 acres of “greenspace”. The parks are categorized as either Community Parks (3 or more acres), Neighborhood Parks (up to 3 acres), or Pocket Parks (less than 1 acre). The major park is Lakewood Park:
This 31 acre lakefront park, the crown jewel of the Lakewood Parks system, is located at the intersection of Belle and Lake Avenues. The Park offers a multitude of activities, including:
- Foster Pool: open during the summer months, various programs offered including open swims, learn to swim classes, senior swims etc. For program information call the Community Recreation & Education Department at 529-4081.
- Construction of a new zero entry children's wading pool was completed in 2002.
- Four Tennis Courts with a Flexcourt Surface
- Three sand volleyball courts, open to the public (unless permits for league play have been issued by The Community Recreation & Education Department). Call 529-4081 for league or permit information.
- Kids Cove Playground area
- The Lakewood Park Bandshell, offers free concerts on Sunday evenings, and free movies for children during the summer months. Refer to the City News and Events link for a list of dates and further information.
- The Lakefront Promenade is a gorgeous brick walkway where visitors can enjoy a lovely view of the lake as well as a wonderful skyline of downtown Cleveland. (new in 2006)
- Handicap-accessible ramp, with stone walls and brick pavers, which extends from the top of the bluff to the lower Lakefront Promenade (new in 2006)
- Picnic areas located throughout the park, with grills and tables
- Two softball fields, available to the public, unless a permit from the Board of Recreation has reserved the field. Call 529-4081 for permit information.
- Old Stone House: Lakewood’s oldest stone house, now a museum, call 221-7343 for hours and tour information.
- Lakewood Skatepark: 9,500 sq foot concrete skatepark featuring a smooth quiet surface with street and bank obstacles for all skill levels and bleachers for viewing. Open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.
SCHOOLS – Four public schools, five non-public and six nursery/educational schools. Excellent curricula with state-of-the-art classrooms and individual attention.
LAKEWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY -- Recently reonovated, The Lakewood Public Library is consistently ranked among the best libraries in the nation, competing with large institutions far outside its weight class, but it proudly remain a local library. With a collection founded on essential knowledge and shaped by the interests of our robust population, a walk through the stacks reveals a grand Lakewood conversation taking place between generations, backgrounds and worldviews. The works of local authors, artists, scholars, historians, filmmakers and musicians line the shelves. Lakewood residents often gather for celebrations on the front steps.
IN SUMMARY -- Lakewood has beautiful residential homes, some along the Lake; new residential developments including clusters homes and townhouses; a wide variety of retail businesses for shopping; corporate facilities as well as other commercial developments; two theaters; many restaurants; and two private clubs (Westwood Country Club and Cleveland Yachting Club).
HISTORY -- From the time of arrival of the first permanent settlers in about 1810, the City of Lakewood, then an agricultural community, was variously called Granger City, Riverbank, Rockport and Lakewood Hamlet. Incorporated as a hamlet in 1893, it became a village in 1903 when the first mayor, Mark Mitchell , and a council were elected. A 1960 charter adopted the mayor-council government. Lakewood is named after the river which, in turn, was named by the Indians who camped and stored their canoes on the island at the mouth of the river, now headquarters of the Cleveland Yachting Club. The winding river valley is part of the Cleveland Metroparks System.